>> Tuesday, July 8, 2014
For the FIRST time in my life, I baked a banana cake & a successfully, nicely-browned cake! This little oven in my rented house hasn't been extremely cooperative, so it's a rare opportunity to get nicely browned cakes. I'm SO PROUD & happy to see this cake looking AND TASTING SO DELICIOUS!
Special thanks to myfoodtrail.com for the recipe :D
1 ½ cups self raising flour, sifted [I used 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour + 2 tsp baking powder + a pinch of salt]
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
¾ cup castor sugar, sifted
3 (or 2 large) very ripe bananas, mashed [I think I used approximately 1/2 cup full of mashed bananas?]
½ cup oil [I used corn oil]
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence [not in original recipe; I added for the additional fragrance]
2 tsp milk [I felt the original recipe was slightly dry when I began mixing, so I added approximately 2 tsp of milk]
1. Preheat oven to 150C and grease your baking tin. I used a round tin (not sure of the width)
2. Sift flour, sugar and bicarb soda into a bowl and mix together.
3. Make a well in the center and add bananas, eggs, vanilla essence and oil.
4. Using a large spoon, stir gently until mixture is smooth. IF the batter seems slightly dry, add the 2 tsp of milk, little by little, mixing the batter to test the consistency/liquidity. It shouldn't be too thick & lumpy nor should it be 'watery'.
5. Pour into cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Turn onto a wire rack and allow to cool before icing (or leave it plain).
Love the success!!