>> Sunday, January 27, 2013
I baked some butter cookies recently! 1 batch can fill up approximately 3 small jars (30 pieces each container). It's my 1st time baking such cookies & I count it as successful :) It really melts in your mouth! *yums...the end of all the cookies* Gave 1 jar to my SS2 family, 1 jar to Aaron's family, & kept 1 jar for my own family to enjoy :)
Recipe from: http://foodiebaker.com/2012/06/01/melting-moments/
225 grams plain flour
3 tablespoons corn flour
225 grams good quality unsalted butter, at room temperature
50 grams icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
It's best to use good quality butter as the quality of the butter used affects the taste of the cookies. I managed to buy 3 blocks of SCS unsalted butter for RM8.38/block (buy 2 get 1 free) from Carrefour 2 weeks ago, so using this butter for butter cookies is just YUMMILICIOUS! It's considered cheap for SCS brand since the normal price can go up to RM11.00/block!
I've also reduced the amount of sugar to around 35-40 grams as the original recipe was apparently too sweet. The result that I had was a "just nice" butter cookie that melts in your mouth! I didn't have to put up with some butter cookie that feels like popping an oily, fattening piece of sugar-loaded flour ball! :D
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Line several baking sheets with baking paper and fit a piping bag with a star nozzle. Set them aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the plain flour and corn flour. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and icing sugar using a hand-held electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes on high speed.
6. Sift in 1/2 of the flour mixture into the batter and fold it in with a rubber spatula or a large metal spoon. Sift in the remaining flour mixture and fold it in.
7. Transfer the cookie batter into the piping bag and pipe rosettes onto the baking sheets.
8. Bake the cookies for 10 – 12 minutes until the bottom of the cookies have turned golden brown.
The result: REALLY fragrant, delicate/fragile AND crumbly butter cookies! Ensure that you allow the cookies to cool completely before moving them. You can store them in an air-tight container for one week in the refrigerator & bring it up to room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
If you're a newbie to baking such butter cookies, give this a try. It's quite "fool proof" since newbies like me can get it to turn out successfully! :D
Love 'em cookies,