>> Wednesday, August 29, 2012
I haven't baked for the longest time! Work has been one of the greatest factor that put my baking on "pause" & even with the free time that I have, I would be sitting in front of the computer for chats or just watching tv instead of baking. Oh, I ran out of ideas too. *teehee*
Each baking session is an experiment. The only recipe that I've repeated was the moist chocolate cake recipe, which I baked into full-size cakes & cupcakes as well. This time around, I decided to go for a non-chocolate cake.
The lazy baker in me loves everything "less less less" except for one thing - taste/quality of the cake should never be compromised! Less work, less ingredients, less clean-up time, but still an AWESOME cake or many LOVELY cupcakes! :D
This time around, I baked a sponge cake without butter nor oil. Amazing eh? It's probably less fattening (yet yummy) too! Baking sponge cakes is certainly more work since I've to use the cake mixer to beat up the eggs, but I reckon the "fluffiness" of the cake is also of greater pleasure :)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
3. In a large bowl beat egg yolks at medium speed until thickened.
4. Gradually beat in sugar, then beat 3 minutes longer.
5. Beat in water, orange or lemon zest, orange or lemon juice and vanilla extract.
6. At low speed gradually beat in the sifted ingredients.
7. Using clean beaters in a medium bowl, beat egg whites adding cream of tartar until soft but not dry.
8. Fold one quarter of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites.
9. Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
10. Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes...
Tomorrow's breakfast is served :) I can't wait to savour the labour of my hands!
Back to baking,