*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Uncle Cheng's Special Beef Noodles

>> Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Venue: Shoplots near Taman Bahagia LRT station & Perodua showroom, SS2/4a
Overall comment: Tasty beef noodles & beef tendon balls! I enjoyed the taste, but I felt the price was slightly expensive - perhaps due to ingredients & rental of the shop.
Halal: Pork-free

I was introduced to this shop by my chef friend, who happened to pass by this area some time ago. Knowing that I'm a great fan of the Seremban-style beef noodles, he shared this juicy piece of news with me (some said uncle Cheng's is Johor-style beef noodles, but the thick, gooey sauce is more like Seremban's than Johor's) :) It's comfort food indeed.


Uncle Cheng's Special Beef Noodles has been around for quite some time, though not at this particular shoplot. He used to operate at a stall in Section 17, PJ & just opened his own little restaurant early this year on 14th January 2011. We found out that uncle Julan Cheng attends the same church as my chef friend as well! What a small world.


The dried beef noodles is a must try, according to chef Julian's wife. All we did was to tell her yes or no. She just recommended & whizzed-off to send the orders to the kitchen. We didn't even know what exactly we ordered!

"Dry one? Ok, I give you with dry meat ya?"
"Orh...ok...." (what's dry meat, I don't know)
"Want soup for all to share?"
"Want"
"Everything ya....I make for 4 persons?"
"Orh...ok..." (I didn't even know what to expect, except a boiling hot claypot of soup with beefy stuff)

Classic conversation of the aunty who knows her stuff well with a bunch of young adults who just want to eat...hahaha....

Dry noodles with dry meat (approx RM8.50/bowl)
Yup, it's quite pricey - The most I've paid was RM6.50/bowl at stalls or the Seremban wet market...haha...but the meat floss a.k.a. dry meat was really flavourful. You'll get the crunch of fried peanuts, the crisp of salted vegetables strips, the meaty floss, with the slightly chewy/soft noodles i.e. "lai fun" (used for asam laksa as well), all in a thick, gooey dark sauce sprinkled with some smokey sesame seed...oolala...I enjoyed it. Yums. But I kinda still prefer the Seremban market one! I miss going there....

Claypot Mix (no idea how much)
This claypot dish reminded me of the Kajang's hot soup ("lat thong") with pork & pig's innards. The style is too similar, except for the lack of pepper in this version. The soup had a good beef stock taste & was filled with all parts of the cow: brisket, tenderloin, meat, tendon, beef balls, tripe. I enjoyed this, but frankly, I personally still prefer the "umph" that I can get from the Kajang's hot soup. Can't really compare both since one is beef, while the other is pork, eh? :P

Map to Uncle Cheng's Special Beef Noodles
taken from Uncle Cheng's FB photos


Our bill for 4 persons came up to more than RM100.00 (we had to pay roughly RM26.00/person for the meal above with drinks). I felt that it was rather costly, but once in a while, I guess it's alright (it's for some quality food anyway). Students will have a slightly harder time footing the bill though.

Care to try this place out for yourself? You don't need to drive there if you don't have a car - the LRT station is walking distance! :D


Uncle Cheng's Special Beef Noodles
54, Jalan SS2/4A
47300 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Malaysia.
Tel: (+6012) 3030 626
Business hours:
Tue - Thu: 10:30
Sat & Sun: 10:30a.m. - 3:00p.m., 7:00p.m. - 9:30p.m. (starts 10:00a.m. on Sundays)
GPS: N3.11179, E101.60950
Facebook: Click here


Ratings:
Presentation: * * * 1/2
Price: * * 1/2
Environment: * * * 1/2
Taste: * * * 1/2
Service: * * * *


Overall:





I like beef noodles,

4 comments:

Unknown February 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM  

Hi! Thanks for the great information you have provided! You have touched on crucuial points! i bookmarked it and will be back to check some more later. Buds Deli

Anonymous September 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM  

Uncle Cheng is from Johor, Kluang to be exact.

Kluang Beef Noodle is similar to that of Seremban's cos from what I've read, Kluang and Seremban clans are related.

They only other place that I've tried this type of beef noodle is in JB.

Anonymous September 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM  

Uncle Cheng is from Johor, Kluang to be exact.

Kluang Beef Noodle is similar to Seremban Beef Noodle. Apparently they are related.

The only other place that I have tried similar type of beef noodle is in JB, probably another relative.

Anonymous September 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM  

This is the worst place on earth. I just wanted to try the so called "best beef noodles". The first time I went I was not assure of Julian's behavior. I didn't know what to order and he told me " the way you look like your gonna choose the cheapest one. He called me a cheapskate directly to my face. I just didn't want to say anything so I just ignored it. A few weeks later, I decided to give it a go again. I went there and I ordered for the first dish on the menu and Julian's wife told me " ya you wanna order the cheapest one." And she asked for my drink I ask for chinese tea and she said "ya cheapest one again". "Julian" and his wife insulted me 2 times by calling me a cheapskate. The beef noodles i ate tasted extremely sour and it was not good at all because it was all made by his Myanmar worker. Please do change your attitude, stop looking down on people and calling people cheapskate and please keep up quality with your food. If you don't change it I think your going in the wrong direction. Rule no 1 of business is customer satisfaction if you can't even achieve that you should not even be running a noodle stall. All the viewers which are reading this please be aware about "Julian and his wife's behavior" then you will understand how I feel.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP