*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Great Taste Hong Kong Dim Sum, USJ21

>> Wednesday, November 2, 2011

This post was supposed to be published mid this year, but somehow it didn't get outta the oven! Hahaha...here's a short write-up anyhow of my experience dining at Great Taste :)

*****
Overall comment: I heard that this place is quite popular for its good tasting dim sum. Since one of my mentees from Jeremiah School works there temporarily, I decided to head there one Saturday to try this place out. My personal opinion, not as good as what people have mentioned. I somehow find the Jin Xuan Hong Kong Dim Sum @ Damansara Jaya better - fresher & has more variety. Perhaps I dropped by at Great Taste slightly too late? I was there around lunch time instead of the usual breakfast hours...
Halal: No

This was my 1st time at USJ21 - all the way here for dim sum, just because Christina works (worked) here :)



Here are some of the dishes that we had that late morning:

"Har Gao" (Prawn Dumpling)
This is something I usually order at every dim sum restaurant that I go to. This one wasn't up to to my expectations. I'm giving it the benefit of doubt that I was there late, but I really believe that restaurants should keep their food at a certain standard of quality before, after, & during peak hours. The skin was rather thick & the prawns didn't have that fresh "crispy" bounce. One of my favourite dishes & I wasn't too happy.

"Siu Mai" (Pork Dumplings)
Another dish that every customer should try in any dim sum restaurant is their siu mai. If they can't get one of the most basic of dim sums right, then they've loads of homework to do. This one wasn't too nice either. It lacks flavour/"umph" to make me want another basket.

"Zha Fu Chok Kuen" (Deep-fried Stuffed Beancurd Sheets)
I dare say this was the best among all the dim sums that we ordered. The fu chok was deep fried very nicely - light & crispy. We enjoyed this best & ordered another plate of it.

"Yong Ai Kua" (Steamed Stuffed Brinjal)
Very sad...PerutBesi is very, very sad. This is something that I also order whenever I eat at dim sum restaurants. The dish wasn't satisfying...sauce wasn't pleasing to my palette, & the dish wasn't piping hot! Wergh :( I MISS KUANTAN...Seng Kong's "yong ai kua" rocks to the max!! It's stuffed with EXTREMELY flavourful minced pork instead of fish paste....I've gotta blog it out someday (I always take for-granted cos Seng Kong is just a small coffeeshop serving the usual pau & plates of dim sum)!

"Char Siew Pau" (Steamed Pork Buns)
Not as satisfying as the ones my dad buys from SS19/his friend who sells pau somewhere in Subang. I could eat one after another of that char siew pau....hahaha...not this one though...

"Dan Tat" (Egg Tarts)
I love egg tarts, but this one didn't really make the mark either :S Oh God, why...? The egg custard was smooth, but the pastry was a little disappointing *sigh*

"Chow Lo Bak Ko" (Fried Carrot Cake)
Erm...I remember this dish as quite an oily one. It wasn't tasty enough as well. I wish they put in more "choy pou" & a little more pepper to bring out the "umph" of this dish.

"Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun"
Rice flour sheets/chee cheong fun could be slightly thinner & smoother, but the overall taste is alright.

Map to Great Taste Hong Kong Dim Sum
Map taken from Great Taste Hong Kong Dim Sum's Blog

Map to Great Taste @ USJ21

View PerutBesi in a larger map

Will I go there again? Maybe not. It's a little too far from where I stay. I won't totally rule this place out though. It may be that the food is fresher during mornings (according to my JS mentee), which shouldn't be the case! Restaurants should serve fresh food every hour of their business! I know of dim sum restaurants that open from morning 'til night & their dishes are still nice & fresh. Oh well, I've read quite a number of good reviews of this place, but perhaps preference is a very subjective matter, eh? Great taste hong kong dim sum...? Erm...didn't taste THAT great in my personal opinion :S


Great Taste Hong Kong Dim Sum 真之味点心之家
No. 1-1, Jalan USJ 21/6
47630 UEP Subang Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan.
Tel : (+6017) 3778434 (Ben) / (+6012) 2121887 (Jack) / (+6012) 4828997 (Kelvin)
URL: http://great-taste-hkdimsum.blogspot.com/
Business hours: 7:00a.m. - 3:00p.m. daily



Ratings:
Presentation: * * *
Price: * * 1/2
Environment: * * 1/2
Taste: * * 1/2
Service: * * 1/2


Overall





A little disappointed,

3 comments:

Pou Leen November 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM  

Good job with the review...!

PerutBesi November 12, 2011 at 11:26 PM  

@Pou Leen: Thanks! It's my honest & humble opinion ;)

Joel Yim November 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM  

I had this last week too and I was a lil disappointed also. My usuals for dim sum include the 'chee cheong fun' and 'xiu long bao' (please excuse my chinese!)but unfortunately I found it lacking in taste. Despite that, the 'lau sar bao' and chicken feet is not bad :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP