*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Delicious "Stir-Fried" Porridge at D Victory, Kuantan

>> Saturday, November 26, 2011

Venue: D Victory Bistro, Jalan Haji Ahmad 5, Kuantan
Occasion: Friday lunch
Overall comment: One of the best porridge that I've ever eaten - creative & innovative type of porridge, unlike the common fish, pork, chicken, or century egg porridge sold everywhere else.
Halal: It's pork-free, but I don't think it has the halal certification

Are you a fan of porridge? Or do you actually loathe porridge & see it as a "sick person's food"? AP will do whatever it takes to avoid eating porridge as he has the mindset that it's a "sick person's food". But this is one porridge place you have to try before jumping to the conclusion that porridge is boring & unappealing. AP will ONLY eat the porridge here & all other porridge is now deemed as "not in his radar of expectations". I won't mind eating my own/mum's home-cooked oyster porridge...hahaha...

This place has been here for quite some time, but since I rarely come over to this area, I haven't tried the porridge here. I can't even recall dining at "I Love You" Cafe, a place where every other Kuantanian knows.


D Victory's Simple Menu
Everything they have is on a 2-sided A4-sized menu. Just tell the uncle what you prefer & he will recommend as well...we just "ah..ah...ya....mmm...that one....okok...." Hahahaha....we didn't even get to say much :P Some of his recommendations may not be in the menu as well! It's like "special for that day" kinda thing...


Interior of the "bistro"
It's non-peak hour at that time, so the place is quite quiet. According to my friend, this place is quite popular for their delicious & special porridge.


"Yong Sam" Roots with Honey (RM2.70/cup)
We all had this very refreshing & healthy drink. Chinese will call this a "ching" & "yeon" drink that will help clear the heat from your body.

Spicy Mantis Prawn Porridge (RM6.00/1 person's serving)
This photo shows a bowl of porridge for 2 persons. The "har kou chook" is said to be one of the best porridge available here. I haven't had such interesting looking porridge - it's not white! It's just slightly spicy, but when you add their special chilli dip, it makes this porridge taste like a "tom yam" flavour porridge with mantis prawns. Fuh. Power!

'Fried' Porridge with Salted Fish (RM6.00/1 person's serving)
I prefer the mantis prawn porridge to this variant as it was more unique. This salted fish porridge (photo also shows portion for 2 persons, but fed 3 of us!) was really as its name speaks - salty! Ok, it was not overly salty, but it was saltier than the mantis prawn porridge! This porridge is quite fragrant, with dried shrimp & bits of aromatic fried salted fish. If you're a fan of salted fish, this is something you must not miss when you're in Kuantan. Go satisfy your tastebuds to the salted fish fried rice (the ones here are different from the ones in PJ) & this salted fish porridge as well!

Stir-Fried Cabbage with Dried Shrimp (RM8.00/serving)
It's quite costly, but heck, it tastes GOOD! I think it has sufficient "wok hei"/wok-fire, that's why even the simple stir-fried cabbage with dried shrimp tastes so good. Fragrant & just satisfying. Oh, I just realized this isn't found in the menu! You see, I told you...we just agreed to all the owner's recommendations without realizing the price & items ordered! Hahahaha....

Stir-Fried Fish Paste with Ginger & Spring Onions (RM16.00/serving)
This was very interesting. Usually, the fish paste is slightly rough & shaped into balls, but this one came out flat like fish slices. It was really smooth & easy to eat as well. I was impressed. My 1st time having such SMOOOOOTH fish paste. The owner said it's home-made fish paste & recommended us to try; we just agreed! We didn't even ask of the price, but the guys won't mind at all....as long as it tastes good, they'll be more than willing to pay for it!

Map to D Victory Bistro

Contact Information

If you're in Kuantan & would like to try something different, pop by to D Victory. I personally feel that it's a good option for a meal. Those who are ill can opt for simpler porridge like the usual fish/chicken/century egg porridge, which are also available here. My friend told me that the Lala & Seafood porridge here are pretty good as well, with loads of lala/seafood pieces. Those 2 variants will be my next target. Heehee.

Stay tuned with PerutBesi for more food posts! :D


Ratings:
Presentation: * * *
Price: * * *
Environment: * * * 
Taste: * * * *
Service: * * * 1/2


Overall:






Porridge isn't a 'boring food' after all,

2 comments:

Anonymous January 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM  

Hi there. This restaurant is actually run by my parents. I coincidently read your blog and I am really glad that you loved their foods (even though your visit was few years back). I am going to show your blog to my parents. I am sure they will be surprised. Thanks for commenting :)

PerutBesi January 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM  

@Anonymous: Thanks for the comment! :) It's been a long while since I visited D Victory. Will drop by again someday when I'm in Kuantan!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP