*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Best (and CHEAP) Fish Head Mee Hoon

>> Monday, September 13, 2010

Venue: Restoran Shangri-La, Damansara Heights
Occasion: Desperate lunch alone for my all-time favourite fish head/paste meehoon
Overall comment: Do I need to say more? To the Ruthless Eater, it's THUMBS UP! Reason - adequate amount of Chinese cooking wine ("Shao Hsing Fa Tiu Zhao") in the milky soup & no "smelly-fishy" smell...
Halal: No

It was a rare 1-day holiday where I was driving towards Desa Sri Hartamas around lunch time when I made a last minute decision to detour to Damansara Heights for my favourite bowl of Fish Head/Paste Mee Hoon ("Yue Tao/Wat Mai")! It's my personal favourite solely because of the pungent, yet not over-powering taste of Chinese cooking wine ("Hsao Hsing Fa Tiu Zhao" in Cantonese)  in the large bowl of mee hoon...ahhhh...."UMPHH!!" Having that bowl of fish head noodles was really nostalgic...I used to walk over from office to this coffeeshop every other week for a good bowl of "yue tao mai"!


Restoran Shangri-La, Jalan Batai @ Damansara Heights
 
The coffeeshop is ALWAYS packed with people, HOT, & STUFFY, but I've no regrets having my lunch there. I had to share a table with 2 other men, whom I interestingly got to chit-chat with them while they were eating there & got to know a wee bit 'bout their business & family background as well!

Oh, what an interesting lunch!

Excellent Fish Paste Mee Hoon (RM5.00/bowl)
I had the fish paste 'rough/thick' mee hoon instead of the usual fried fish head + 'thin' mee hoon. I'm quite afraid of fish bones, so fish paste do just right for me ;) I love the fragrant evaporated milk soup, accompanied by tomatoes, salted vegetables, fried shallots, spring onions, & the fish paste itself. The best part is that it costs only RM5.00/bowl! The other good fish head mee hoon that I had costs RM7.50/bowl...this one's CHEAP! I ate 'til my face was glowing red!! *lol*

Map to Restoran Shangri-La

View PerutBesi in a larger map


p/s: Restoran Shangri-La has reasonably good pork ball (flat) noodles & apparently the wantan mee is quite famous as well. I'm not a great fan of wantan mee, so I can't really comment much, but the pork ball noodles are pretty good :)


Fish Head Mee Hoon:
Restoran Shangri-La
Jalan Batai
50490 Kuala Lumpur.


Ratings:

Presentation: * * *
Price: * * * *
Environment: * *1/2
Taste: * * * *
Service: * * * 1/2


Overall:





**********
What's better for the day was to conclude the fabulous day with a good meal of HOME-COOKED sweet & spicy CRABS! Dad was free that day, so he enthusiastically bought live mud crabs & cooked them in sweet & spicy style...Ah, awesome lunch, awesome dinner!

Home-Cooked Sweet & Spicy Crabs (RM55.00 only!!)
Yes, what you're looking at costs only RM55.00...and that's FIVE pretty large-sized crabs! The crabs were bought at a stall managed by an Indian lady along the Jalan Sungai Buloh, behind the Kota Damansara area. I have to say that these are really fresh crustaceans that don't stick to its shell when it's cooked! *hats off & applause for dad!*


- Ruth

2 comments:

thule a.k.a leo September 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

Oh.. this place! wanted to try when I was there one day but ended up having other stuff :P

have u tried Woo Pin in Taman Desa?? They are good

PerutBesi September 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

->leo: Must try at least once! Go early though...and just bear with the heat in the shop!!

I haven't tried Woo Pin...rarely go to that area la :P But how's the price? I ate one at Puchong which was YUMS but it costs RM7.50...slightly more expensive, but worth eating since the place is VERY MUCH more conducive compared to the hot & stuffy Shangri-La coffeeshop...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP