*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Trip to Singapore (Day 3)

>> Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Date: 19 September 2009, Saturday
Venue: Singapore
Occasion: Holiday!

(Note: Conversion rate: S$1.00 = RM2.47)


Day 3 was yet another exciting day :) The main plan was to meet up with my church friend, Cheng Sim, who's working in S'pore for lunch & to meet up with my uncle & his family for dinner. Meet ups, meet ups, meet ups...is that all that's on PerutBesi's agenda?? *grins* Shopping isn't part of my agenda at all! *gasps* I guess it's because of the currency exchange that kinda pulled me back from spending the cash on things that I could get here (M'sia) for less than half of what I'll have to pay in S'pore :) Of course you could say that S'pore has certain things that M'sia does not...but then again, the next question is "do I really need it?" *rofl*

Not having a handphone line in S'pore was a terrible hassle. It caused me great inconveniences & much anxiety *sigh* The silly thing about my phone line is that I could get great connection/line at home (my aunt's), IN MY ROOM, but once I step out of the house, I'm uncontactable *sweat =.="* I contacted my friends from home & sent them smses from home, but I couldn't receive any replies once I step out of the house. Totally annoying! The silliest thing was that the replies came to me only when I got back to M'sia....like what's the point man??

Anyways, my mum & I managed to locate Cheng Sim at Orchard MRT after 2 rounds of "Cheng Sim hunting" (it was like a "Where's Wally"). I've no idea what shirt she's wearing, where in Orchard MRT will she be waiting at...etc. All thanks to the 'great' phone line *sigh* Just imagine the relieve when we finally met! If you're familiar with the MRT stations in S'pore, Orchard MRT is one of the most jam-packed MRT stations. To add to all the confusion & frustration, it was lunch time. Awesome! *ergh*


Check out the hustle & bustle at the Orchard MRT station :S Madness...


We headed to Lucky Plaza for an Indonesian meal of Ayam Penyet (smashed fried chicken). It's my 1st time having this, so I was quite excited about it :D Little did I realize that there's actually a branch at Sunway Mentari! I was just surfing the internet for ayam penyet when I found out that M'sia has it too *sweat* The shocker is revealed in the price...dollar to dollar! We paid S$6.50 for the ayam penyet & here in Sunway Mentari, you pay RM6.50!! Fuyoh!!! *faints in over-excitement*

I can't really see the difference in the chicken, really....hahaha...it doesn't look very smashed to me. If I'm the one who's given the opportunity to 'smash' the chicken, you'll bet that it won't look like a piece of chicken anymore!! *rofl* My friends Evie & Fungi will know what I meant *wink* I didn't find the meal extraordinary as I thought the chicken was a 'lil dry. But on the overall, the meal was nice thanks to the warm fellowship that the 3 of us ladies had together ;) Thanks loads to Cheng Sim for the lunch treat! :D


The Restaurant at Lucky Plaza

Ayam Penyet (S$6.50/serving @ RM16.10)

The famous "smashed chicken"....doesn't look very smashed eh? :P Each serving of the fried smashed meat (chicken/fish) comes with a piece of deep-fried beancurd/tofu & a piece of deep-fried tempe, a generous serving of very spicy sambal, some stir-fried kangkung, & some cabbage leaves + cucumber slices.

Pecel Lele (S$6.50/serving @ RM16.10)
One of my favourite fish is the "ikan keli" or catfish, in English. This one's done pretty nicely, where the fish was covered nicely in the batter & deep-fried to perfection. The flesh was still soft & fresh, plus it's a very easy-to-eat fish!

Gado-Gado (S$4.50/serving @ RM11.10)
This is an Indonesian-stlye salad, similar to the Malaysian-stlye Indian rojak. The crackers were a bit soft already, but the sauce was quite delicious.

Teh Botol Sosro a.k.a. Indonesian Tea (S$1.80/glass @ RM4.45)

Green Tea (S$1.50/can @ RM3.70)

I just wanted to be a 'lil adventerous & decided to try out the Indonesian tea. The verdict: I didn't like it as it has a strange smell & tasted like some 'joss s stick tea' *ergh*

Cheng Sim & I at the Ayam Penyet Ria Restaurant

Map to Ayam Penyet Ria, Lucky Plaza, Orchard Road

View PerutBesi in a larger map


Ayam Penyet Ria
304, Orchard Road
#01-45/46/47, Lucky Plaza
307506 Singapore
Tel: (+65) 6235 6390
Nearest MRT Station: Orchard MRT
Website: Ayam Penyet Ria


Ratings:

Presentation: * * * 1/2
Price: * * * 1/2
Environment: * * *
Taste: * * *
Service: * * * 1/2


Overall





After lunch, we walked around Orchard & I ended up at Royce', a Japanese chocolate shop, offering what I deem as really delicious chocolates! *drools again* I manage to sample their Bitter Chocolate with VSOP, Mild Chocolate, the usual Milk Chocolate, & the Rum & Raisins Chocolate. I love the Bitter Choc with VSOP best! My next favourite was the Rum & Raisins....omg.... I wanna have chocolates now! The chocolates were rich, smooth, & very fragrant, especially those with alcohol content....every piece of the Rum & Raisins were filled with raisins as well!

I thought I could only get this in S'pore, but as I was looking up for more info (now!) on the internet, I just found out that I could get it in M'sia as well. Bummer!!! I need to go to KL more often! It could be found in Isetan, KLCC....*cries* To add salt to the wound, Royce' chocolates are cheaper in M'sia than in S'pore *bawls* I really feel like some "kampung" girl now :( I bought the Bitter Chocs for S$15.00 @ RM37.05 & the Rum& Raisins (given as a thank you gift to Cheng Sim) for S$7.50 @ RM18.50 (I found out that I could get it for RM12.00 at Isetan...omg...I wanna kill myself now).


Royce' at ION Orchard Shopping Mall

Bitter Sweet Chocolates with VSOP (S$15.00 @ RM37.05)
Retail price in Isetan, KLCC: RM35.00
I could really cry :( but it's excellent chocolates, so fine, I'll forgive myself for being silly this time...The chocolates come in a lovely wrapped up box PLUS a small dried ice pack & an insulated bag :) Awesome-possum!

Map to ION Orchard

View PerutBesi in a larger map


Royce' Chocolate
#B4-10, ION Orchard Shopping Mall
2, Orchard Turn
238801 Singapore.
Tel: (+65) 6509 9340
Business Hours: 10a.m. - 10p.m.
More info: Royce'
Extra info: Blogger's Experience on Royce' KLCC



Enough of complaining - after lunch with Cheng Sim, mum & I headed to Bugis for some sight-seeing & shopping. Yes, shopping! Cheng Sim showed us to Bugis Street, a place like our KL's Petaling Street, offering LOADS of goodies at reasonable prices :) I was very enthralled by the blink-blinks like earrings & hair accessories...*lol* Yes, the place is a very girly-girl place & also quite a hip-hop guy place...hahahaha....ok, if you want to put it in a crude way it's an "ah lian-ah beng" place :D But you can actually get some pretty nice clothes & accessories there ;)


Bugis Junction, an air-conditioned market-like shopping area

Bugis Street, our Petaling Street look-alike

Things I bought from Singapore
Yes, these are the only things that I got for myself. I bought the earrings from Bugis Street - 8 pairs for S$10.00...I thought it was a good buy since the design & variety was good, & I bought the 3 gorgeous-looking hair clips for S$10.00 (for 3 pairs) at the Budget Terminal Airport, Singapore :D I'm extremely pleased with my goodies!

Walking around for almost the whole day was really tiring. We decided to take a bus to my uncle's place instead of taking the MRT, which was really packed by evening. The bus ride took us around several areas in S'pore (it was of course a longer route than what the MRT takes) & at the end of the ride, we were a 'lil too anxious, so we got off the wrong station & had to walk to my uncle's place *sigh* It was quite a frustrating experience cos my uncle & his family weren't home by the time we got there & I couldn't contact my cousin as well. Bummer. Thank God for nice neighbours who lend us a handphone to call my cousin again & we finally got them! Woohoo!

Dinner was at Mayim Chinese Cuisine, Northpoint Shopping Centre. Mayim is actually the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet, which carries the meaning "water". According to the Jewish scriptures, god created this letter & made it "king over water". Thus, the name was adopted to signify the creation of Chinese exquisite delicacies, served at this restaurant. One could expect an extensive variety of southern & northern Chinese cuisine ranging from their handmade noodles (la mian) to culinary dishes & dim sum at reasonable prices & pretty good taste :)


Mayim Chinese Cuisine, Northpoint Shopping Centre, Yishun

The Cutlery - I thought they looked very neat & traditional :)

Starter for sale
The restaurant serves their special peanuts & preserved cabbage for sampling (and as appetizers), but one could buy them in pretty jars as well if he/she likes it.

Noodle Box also for sale
If you would like to pack your noodles in a specially designed 'bento box', you may request for it & pay for the entire package...

The assortment of chillies, sauces, & dips

Fried french beans with minced pork, dried shrimp, & preserved vegetable (S$7.00/serving)
This dish reminds me of my mum's cooking :) She does this well too!

Fragrance Fried Rice - Dry (S$7.50/serving)
Fried rice with shrimp, barbecued pork, diced bacon, yam, & preserved turnip. Nice :)

Pan-Fried Sliver Cod Fish served with Light Soya Sauce (S$14.00/serving)
This dish can't go wrong ;) Me likey!

Stir-Fried Chicken with Ginger & Mushrooms
This was one dish where I couldn't get its name. Bummer. Didn't manage to find out the price as well, but it was a very simple yet delicious dish. Not a totally "umph" dish though, but goes well with rice & is suitable for children.

Pan-Fried Venison Steak with Butter & Cheese Dressing, Garnished with Wedges (S$14.50/serving)
Flavourful venison (deer meat) topped with a creamy sauce. The dish feels very Italian with a Chinese touch :D

Fragrance Fried Rice - Wet (S$9.50/serving)
Assorted diced duck meat, shrimp, mushroom, chicken, & conpoy in brown sauce over savoury rice. It's a very different style of 'fried rice', but you should try it. Taste a 'lil like the 'man fan' (stewed rice) in M'sia, but is rather different in fragrance ;)

Roasted Pork served with Mashed Taro (S$7.00/serving)
I thought the roast pork was rather tasty; its skin was crispy & the meat was nicely flavoured. The taro/yam was of great texture as well - soft, fine, & 'powdery' :P

Fried 'La Mian'/Ramen (S$7.50/serving)
Fried 'la mian' with shredded pork, mushroom, black fungus, & Chinese cabbage. This can never substitute the Malaysian Hokkien Fried Noodles, & it certainly isn't that dish anyways...it may look like it, but it tastes rather different. Try it to find out for yourselves ;)

Sauteed Spinach with Chinese Sausage, Minced Pork, Roast Pork, & Bacon (S$9.50/serving)
Humble veggie served with a 'royal' touch of goodness! *yums!*

Dessert: Mango & Pomelo Sago (S$3.50/bowl)
Thick, creamy & milky mango dessert served with boiled sago & pomelo bits

Mum & her grand-nephew, Nathaniel

Happy Nat! :D

Map to Mayim Chinese Cuisine, Northpoint Shopping Centre

View PerutBesi in a larger map



Mayim Chinese Cuisine Pte Ltd
930, Yishun Ave 2
#02-01/ 05 Northpoint
769098 Singapore.
Tel: (+65) 6758 3168
Fax: (+65) 6758 9541
Business Hours: Mon - Sat: 11.30a.m. - 10.00p.m., Sun & Public Holidays: 11.00a.m. - 11.00p.m.
Website: Mayim Chinese Cuisine


Ratings:

Presentation: * * * *
Price: * * *
Environment: * * * 1/2
Taste: * * * 1/2
Service: * * * 1/2


Overall:





After dinner, we went back to my uncle's house for a chat & some tong sui (dessert). It was a nice time of just catching up & playing with my nephew. The long day ended with my cousin sending my mum & I back to my aunt's. It was indeed a great day! But my day just didn't end there!!! *LOL* I went back to my aunt's to shower, packed, & headed out around 10.00p.m. to Jurong East MRT station to meet up with Fernie! :D I stayed over at her place in Ghim Moh for a night as the both of us had such a packed day & weekend that we couldn't find the time to meet up for a meal *sigh* I'm really thankful that we could at least spend several hours pillow-talking :D It was a really, really great day!! Much accomplished ;)

Day 4's post will be coming up next! My hands & fingers are tired already :( Stay tuned for the upcoming posts! Loads more to come!!


- Ruth

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP